Farm to Kitchen: A Simple Fruit Dessert using Fresh Plums
A Simple Plum Torte Recipe
Welcome to our kitchen, where we're turning farm-fresh plums into a delightful and super simple fruit dessert!
In this video, not only will we show you how to create a mouthwatering fresh plum torte that's perfect for any occasion, but we'll also take you on a tour around the beautiful farm where the plums are grown.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter the inside of a 9 inch pan or pie plate.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated, followed by the vanilla.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl until combined. Then mix into the butter-sugar mixture just until combined.
- Spread the batter into the pan, and smooth out the top.
- Arrange the halved plums cut-side-down, then use your fingers to gently press them into the batter.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the fruit, then mix the remaining tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes prior to cutting. We prefer to serve this cake warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This recipe has been adapted from Marian Burros of the New York Times.