Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookies with Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Icing
If there's one category of treat that we really became known for at Trove, it was our sandwich cookies. Some favorites that we often made at the bakery included our Coconut Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies, or Brownie Sandwich Cookies, Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies....and of course our favorite fall treat, Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookies!
These are simply decadent, absolutely delicious and surprisingly easy to whip up! We start with a soft and chewy pumpkin spice snickerdoodle cookie, made with real pumpkin puree, and filled with a tangy and creamy pumpkin spice cream cheese icing. These are a must try in the fall, and we're so excited to show you exactly how we made them at our bakery. Nice and big!!
- Karli and Julia
For the Cookie:
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter (226 g)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar (110 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin puree (170 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cup flour (405 g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (link to our spice mix recipe)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter (113 g)
- 1 brick of cream cheese (8 oz)
- 3 tbsp pure pumpkin puree (45 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup powdered sugar (270 g)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (link to our spice mix recipe)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Prepare the Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened unsalted butter, packed brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the pure pumpkin puree and vanilla to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
Combine the Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
Mix the Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until a soft and cohesive cookie dough forms.
Prepare the Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
- In a shallow bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Shape and Coat the Cookies:
- Using your hands, roll the chilled cookie dough into large balls (if you like large bakery style cookies like we do!), about 2 inches in diameter. **Note - we use a size 24 icecream scoop for this, but you can also use a kitchen scale to measure about 40-45g of dough per ball.
- Roll each cookie dough ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat it completely.
- Place the coated dough balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving space between them.
Bake the Cookies:
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until they are lightly golden around the edges. In our opinion these cookies have the best taste and texture if they are still really soft in the middle, so be careful not to overbake them!
Cool the Cookies:
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare the Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Icing:
- In a mixing bowl, beat the softened unsalted butter until its very smooth.
- Add the brick of cream cheese, and mix with the butter until they're well incorporated and smooth.
- Add the pure pumpkin puree and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Mix until the icing is well combined and smooth. Try not to overmix this, since cream cheese icing can become loose.
Assemble the Sandwich Cookies:
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, prepare a piping bag using, we use our favorite 1M piping tip here. Start from the outside of the cookie and pipe in a circle moving inwards. **If you don't have a piping bag, simply spread a generous amount of the Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Icing on the flat side of one cookie.
- Top it with another cookie to create a sandwich.
- Repeat until all the cookies are paired up.
- Store them in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to eat them. **This will allow the cream cheese icing to firm up if you're finding it loose.
- Indulge in the decadent Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookies you've just created. These treats are perfect for enjoying the flavors of fall!
Share and Tag Us!
- If you make these cookies, be sure to share your creations on social media and tag us - we'd love to see your delicious results!
* we earn a small commission on the items purchased from these links, at no additional cost to you. We appreciate your support!